Balance calculated by Koinly or reported by API

When adding a API I’m giving the option to enable to see the balance calculated by Koinly - Instead of the balance being reported by API.

Is both options equaly good? So far I’ve just chosen to use the API since that is set as default

Both can be correct, but it isn’t always the case.

Sometimes APIs don’t actually send all transactions to Koinly. For instance (I’m not sure if this has been fixed, but …) the Polkadot API doesn’t include transaction fees paid when nominating validators. Thus the balance calculated by Koinly will be higher than the true wallet balance (provided by the API), so it is preferable to use the API balance.

Another situation where you may want to switch is if you are staking some coins. Sometimes staking coins causes them to be locked in a smart contract and removed from your wallet (this used to be the way on mStable before save v2). You may want to soft delete those transactions in Koinly so that your balance on Koinly still includes the staked coins. In that case using the Koinly balance would give you a complete picture of your portfolio.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.