First transactions are wacky

Describe the problem:
Hard to describe accurately, but there is something wrong with first transactions, sometimes. I have had just wacky calculations sometimes resulting in bad basis, bad gains, and, I think, bad balances. Koinly will refuse to calculate the right numbers even when there are only two transactions. The way to fix this is to ‘touch’ the earliest transaction by changing a field such as cost or value. Koinly will then calculate things correctly. You can change the value back and Koinly will continue to be correct. I have done this three times now under different circumstances.

This is a serious problem because you only notice it under some rigid circumstances where you know the result can’t be right, like where there are only a handful of transactions or stablecoin basis is way off.

Which exchange/wallet is this regarding?
Any

How did you import data into this wallet?
Sync, csv. I’m not sure if any of them were manual; I don’t think so.

What have you tried to fix this so far?
Changing the first transaction for the coin, which usually seems to be a deposit or reward of some kind, is the cure. I had one stablecoin (LUSD) which would continually calculate ~ $600/coin basis value even when every transaction corresponded to $1/coin. Changing the first transaction by a penny fixed the massive basis miscalculation to $1/coin, and then I changed the first transaction back and everything was still fixed.

It is possible that this problem relates to a coin not having a value when it is first imported. I THINK I have mostly had this problem with coins that have been airdropped, are obscure, or for some reason have a spotty record of price reporting by whatever oracles you are using. Some of the obscure BNB tokens take a long time to be tracked by CMC (if ever). My most recent experience with this problem was LUSD, which seemed to have prices for the earliest dates, then didn’t have them for a while (which I had to fix by hand) and then the API started reporting prices again recently. Even after I fixed all the missing value transactions by hand and everything looked perfect, Koinly refused to fix the $600 basis/coin problem until I changed the very first LUSD transaction I ever had. All the lUSD transactions were API imported by the way.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.