No capital gains tax on profits from mining/ staking in Germany

In your faq you are writign the following:

Do I have to pay Capital gains tax if I have already paid Income tax?

Yes, you do! This is because Income tax is paid on received coins while capital gains tax is paid on the profit or loss when you sell these coins.

If you mine 1 BTC (worth $1500) and later sell it for $2000, you would have to pay Income tax on $1500 and a capital gains tax on the $500 profit.

That is not correct for german tax law. You do not have to pay tax on capital gains in Germany. You only pay income tax and the selling is tax free. How can I specify that insinde Koinly?

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

Did you solve the issue? If not, how do you register the tax free gains from Staking?

Law is the same in DK, so i am looking for the same answer

Br,

Michael

Hi, Koinly shows you your capital gains and Income separately so you dont need to specify anything. As for the German law, I believe there are capital gains taxes if you sell within 1 year of purchase.

That is absolut correct. But I am talking about income trough mining or staking. You have to pay tax at the time when you receive this rewards. You dont have to pay it again when you sell them. That has nothing to do with the 1 year holding requierement. The important part is that I already paid my taxes. I do not have to pay them a second time for those coins. Is there any way to set this inside your software? If not I can not use your service (which is the best out there I think) because I would pay simply to much tax.

Hi, you wont pay tax on the same amount. If you are receiving income in fiat ex. 200 USD then there are no capital gains but if you receive income in BTC ex. 1 BTC worth $2000 then it is same as saying you received $2000 USD income and then bought Bitcoin with it. Later, if you sell the BTC for $2500, you will make a profit of $500 which will be taxed if it is sold within a year.

So the thing is, that in Germany the selling of this ex. 1BTC is tax free. Even if the price was 2k and is now 2.5K the 500$ difference will not be taxed again. You only have to pay income tax for the 1 BTC upon arrival but what you do with your BTC afterwards is not taxable again.

Please share a link or reference to where you are getting this info from. We are not aware of any special laws that would make income received in a cryptocurrency exempt from capital gains tax. Any income whether fiat or crypto is usually treated the same way.

Grundsätzlich sind Kryptowährungen nach herrschender Meinung als Wirtschaftsgüter einzustufen,[36] welche bei Verkauf ein Veräußerungsgeschäfte i.S.d. § 23 EStG verursachen. Für die Prüfung eines steuerpflichtigen Vorgangs im Sinn des § 23 EStG bedarf es allerdings weitergehender Voraussetzungen. So muss neben einer Veräußerung des Wirtschaftsguts auch eine steuerlich wirksame Anschaffung desgleichen vorgelegen haben. Entscheidend ist hierbei, dass die durch Staking erhaltenen Wirtschaftsgüter durch eigene Leistung erzeugt wurden und damit ein entgeltlicher Erwerb nicht gegeben ist. Das Besteuerungsmerkmal der privaten Veräußerungsgeschäfte nach § 23 EStG erfordert jedoch explizit einen entgeltlichen Anschaffungsvorgang. [[37]] Da dieser im Bereich des Staking nicht identifiziert werden kann, sollten etwaige Kursgewinne bei einem Verkauf regelmäßig nicht steuerbar sein. Kursverluste die durch die Veräußerung von Coins realisiert werden, die ursprünglich aus einer Stakingtätigkeit zugeflossen sind bleiben folgerichtig ebenfalls steuerlich unberücksichtigt. [38]

Oft diskutiert wird eine etwaige Verlängerung der Spekulationsfrist, wenn durch Staking neue Coins zufließen. Gemäß § 23 EStG stellen Verkäufe von privaten Wirtschaftsgütern nur ein privates Veräußerungsgeschäft dar, wenn zwischen Anschaffung und Veräußerung nicht mehr als ein Jahr liegt. Falls durch das Wirtschaftsgut in zumindest einem Kalenderjahr Einkünfte erzielt werden, erhöht sich die Haltefrist gemäß § 23 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 S. 4 EStG auf 10 Jahre. Eine Verzehnfachung der Haltefrist hätte enorme Auswirkungen auf das Anlageverhalten, steuerfreie Gewinne in einem derzeit noch sehr neuen und volatilen Markt wären nicht planbar. Das PoS-Verfahren würde somit zumindest in Deutschland weniger Interesse erfahren.
Die Einführung der Haltefristverlängerung lässt sich auf das Unternehmensteuerreformgesetz 2008 zurückführen. Die Verlängerung wurde aufgrund von Steuersparmodellen – sog. Containerleasingmodellen – eingeführt, um neben Mieteinnahmen steuerfreie Veräußerungen von Containern zu vermeiden. Die teleologische Normauslegung des Gesetzesentwurfs zeigt, dass die Haltefristverlängerung bisher nicht auf Einkünfte aus der Betätigung an Konsensalgorithmen wie PoS übertragbar ist.

Weiterhin können Einkünfte durch Staking für diese Zwecke mit Zinsen verglichen werden. Da die erhaltenen Block-Rewards und Transaktionskosten Vergütungen für die zur Verfügung gestellten Coins sind, werden die Einkünfte nicht durch das Wirtschaftsgut an sich erzielt. Das Bayerische Landesamt für Steuern vertritt diese Auffassung für Fremdwährungsdarlehen. [[39]]Die erhaltenen Zinsen, welche als Einkünfte gemäß § 23 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 S. 4 EStG in Betracht kommen, stammen nicht aus dem Wirtschaftsgut Fremdwährung sondern resultieren vielmehr aus der auf Fremdwährung lautenden Kapitalforderung. Kryptowährungen, welche rechtlich keine Fremdwährung darstellen, aber durchaus mit ihnen vergleichbar sind, [[40]]sind ebenfalls als selbstständiges Wirtschaftsgut zu deklarieren. Vom Wirtschaftsgut abzugrenzen ist die Darlehensforderung, die entsteht, sobald der Steuerpflichtige Fremdwährungsguthaben als Festgeld anlegt. [[41]] Im Kontext des Stakings könnte die Hinterlegung der Coins im System sinnwahrend als abzugrenzende Forderung ggü. dem dezentralen Netzwerk, auf Grundlage von Vertragsbedingungen in der Blockchain Codebasis, darstellen. Die Zinsen die der Steuerpflichtige für sein Fremdwährungsguthaben erhält, sind Ausfluss der Kapitalforderung und nicht des selbstständigen Wirtschaftsgutes, womit eine Haltefristverlängerung nicht in Betracht kommt. Im Falle des Staking kann die temporäre Hingabe der Coins auch als Forderung gewertet werden, der Ausfluss entsteht durch das Bestätigen von Transaktionen und Finden von Blöcken und nicht durch das Wirtschaftsgut Kryptowährung. Zu beachten ist jedoch, dass die Legaldefinition der Kapitalforderung i.S.d. § 20 Abs. 1 Nr. 7 nicht erfüllt ist, und die analoge Behandlung noch durch keine Rechtsprechung bestätigt wurde. Die Abgrenzung dürfte aber indes begründet sein, da lediglich die Abgrenzung zum selbstständigen Wirtschaftsgut im Vordergrund steht, unabhängig davon ob es sich um Fremdwährung, Kapitalforderungen oder Alternativwährungen handelt.

Hi, this information does not come from a tax authority or recognized law firm. Furthermore it is just an opinion based on some comparisons with existing rules, I would suggest you hire an accountant or make your own enquiries to verify it if you plan on going down this route.

Koinly takes the most conservative approach when it comes to taxes and does not support cases where no official information is available. However, if you insist on not declaring capital gains on your mining income then you can simply delete the income transactions from Koinly.

Hello and thx for your answer. The information I provided is an interpretation of the offical tax laws in germany. Many people in Crypto are doing it this way with success. I would like to go that road too. Can you help me out with an information? I am not insisting of not declaring capital gains on mining income since this is necessary at the time of income but not at the time of selling again. Lets say I receive a coin worth 1 Euro. I have to pay tax for it at the time this coin arrives in my wallet. however if I sell this exact coin half a year later for 2 Euro I dont have to pay tax for it, since I already paid my tax. This is the way I want to go. Can you please help me in how can I declare inside Koinly, that this coin is gone from my portfolio but not registered as a capital gain for my tax report at the time I sell this coin?

I also have another question. I want to sync some exchange accounts but it is sometimes written “requires beta access”. What does it mean and how can I get this?

Regards

1 Like

Hi @koinly the user is right. Coins which you received as a reward (e.g. 1 BTC for 45k €) you have to pay tax for the 45k € but afterwards it doesn´t matter if I sell or trade the coin with more or less value. So Profit/Loss is not considered. As he mentioned you don´t have to pay tax again.
I have the same issue right now that I have to track manually how much coins I have received as a reward or I bought so that I can split transactions with (trade) and without profit/loss (swap) but that is really a huge effort.

So it would be cool if you can provide a feature to active/deactivate profit/loss on rewards.

Thanks Daniel

1 Like

Adding to what Daniel_Pfeil said:

Here is the mentioned law:

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/estg/__23.html

Look at $23 (1)2:

Veräußerungsgeschäfte bei anderen Wirtschaftsgütern, bei denen der Zeitraum zwischen Anschaffung und Veräußerung nicht mehr als ein Jahr beträgt. 2Ausgenommen sind Veräußerungen von Gegenständen des täglichen Gebrauchs. 3Bei Anschaffung und Veräußerung mehrerer gleichartiger Fremdwährungsbeträge ist zu unterstellen, dass die zuerst angeschafften Beträge zuerst veräußert wurden. 4Bei Wirtschaftsgütern im Sinne von Satz 1, aus deren Nutzung als Einkunftsquelle zumindest in einem Kalenderjahr Einkünfte erzielt werden, erhöht sich der Zeitraum auf zehn Jahre;

In Germany, all crypto is classified as a “anderes Wirtschaftsgut”. So, according to the law, crypto can be sold tax-free, if you hold them for one year and DONT use them to generate income (like staking, lending, liquidity mining, etc.) If you do generate income, then the necessary holding period is believed to be extended to ten years.

For additional reference see:

You really need to implement this into your program, otherwise, it is unusable for Germans :frowning: :frowning:

I believe this, although in contradiction to the original post, is the right interpretation. Reward income gains are not tax free. What Koinly is still missing is the 10 year period.

Hi @koinly

Is this really not implemented?? This is THE feature for German crypto taxes!

You claim to be able to file taxes for ~20+ countries including Germany, this is why I bought your service. You can’t let down German customers like this. Can you please comment asap?

Thanks

Hi friends, I have a question on crypto taxes specially when someone stakes.

Say, I bought 1btc worth 2k in 2016 and staked it. Now the coin in 2021 is worth 50k. Do I pay tax on the gains from the 1btc ie 48k because the taxation period increased to 10 years?

Conversely, if I sold the 1btc in 2016 itself for 5k, I would pay a cap gains tax on 3k right?

If I sold the 1btc in 2018 for 20k, I would pay tax on 18k profit? But if I rebought at the same price in 2018 and held without staking until 2021, then no taxes to pay in 2021 if I sell?

This still needs to be addressed. Koinly still calculates it wrong. We don’t pay tax on things we tag as rewards because we Allready pay the tax when we receive it. This is calculated correctly. But if I sell that 10 days or 100 or 10000 after I received them I don’t have to pay tax even if I made 1000% on them.

Do you plan to implement this or Do I need to leave your service?

@koinly here you have something that is more official. Any plans on implementing it? Just bought your plan and wouldn’t want to be a wasted money…

I think the blog entry from Koinly is right and you guys not.

According to a Lawyer, specialized on Taxes i asked 2 Weeks ago, you have to pay Taxes for Rewards under “Sonstiges Einkommen” with the price at the time when you got it.

But then the crypto is bought with this price ( “angeschafft”) and then the usual rules as if you would have bought it apply.

So with the usual rules for a “privates Veräußerungsgeschäft” with the 1 (or 10 years in case of reinvesting) “Haltefrist”.

So Koinly does this part basically right - only the 10 Years “Haltefrist” are not implemented.
(as @derCiamas also said)

Hello at all,

@koinly are you planing to implement the 10 years “Haltefrist” for German Users soon?
I also bought your service already to do my taxes for 2021. But if your program
is not able to mark coins for the 10 years “Haltefrist” i need to leave your service
asap, because for the future our taxes would not be calculted correctly.

Let’s just say, you made a deposit of 1000 coins. Then youre going to use those
1000 coins for Staking. So, those coins got locked up for 10 years. If youre planning
to sell them earlier, then you have to pay taxes for the capital gains.
The second thing is, youre gaining rewards from your 1000 coins. Koinly will apply
tax rules on the rewards you’ve gained which is absolutly correct. But according
to the german tax law, you are able to sell those coins then, tax free. And
it’s getting more complicated if you are reinvesting your gained rewards.
Then you would have to mark everytime, you put your rewards back into the
staking pool, for the 10 years “Haltefrist”.

So in general, the tax report will held false informations.
Either if youre selling your rewards within 1 year without reinvesting,
or youre going to sell your coins after 1 year, where koinly is going to think,
that you hold them long term, which is not the case because of the 10 year “Haltefrist”.

Please @koinly, i beg for an awnser asap according to those problems,
because we all have to do our taxes soon …

same here, we need a option to declare if its short term or long term ourself for coins cause sending and receiving pool doesnt work at all on the Crypto.com DEFI Wallet. But you wont hear anything from Koinly here cause they obvsly dont give a damn