Taxes for Bybit Contract Trading

Hi,

I’m wondering how profits of leverage trading with BTC based margin is handled. I’m from Germany but maybe it affects also other countries.

So let’s say I’ve opened a 1 BTC trade with some leverage and close it with 50% in profit. Which means my portfolio now includes 1,5 BTC instead of 1BTC. These 0,5 BTC are afterwards imported into Koinly as gains. Let’s say BTC is worth 10.000$, so my profit would be 5000$.
As I do not sell these BTCs for fiat I’m wondering when I have to pay taxes here.
Especially because the BTC value might change and let’s assume it falls to 1000$ till December. So my initial 5000$ profits are now only worth 500$.
How to handle this?
It would be very strange if I had to pay more taxes than my gains are worth at the end of the year.

Any one has an answer?

Usually you have to pay a tax on any profits so there would be tax payable on the $5000 gain you made in Bitcoin (even if the value of BTC collapsed later on). However, always best to check with an accountant.

I am from Germany, too.
Yes exactly, Kapitalertragssteuer, Soli, Kirchensteuer,so around 26-28% as tax on any gains made,
no matter the future developement of your assets’ valuations.

So even if BTC drops to ZERO!, you pay close to 30% tax on those 5000k in BTC for that years tax report, also important for staking rewards, same story, that is the negative side of volatility ; )
That’s why I do not stake anything and just hodl in Germany, during a bull market - it is far easier, safer and even more profitable, if you want to buy low, hodl over a year and sell high and next year buy low again. I think it only makes sense for IDOs, where the tokens are basically worthless while you get them, like 100€, and then rampage in 1 Minute to 10k, in that case you still pay tax on the 100€, that is OK :slight_smile: And you cannot re-balance your gains with normal hodl and trade when negative losses. So if you sell you BTC from another wallet, that just hodled a few months, you will get like -1000€ negative income subtracted from the 600€-tax-free limit, so next year you could take like 1600 tax-free, but it won’t help with derivatives losses/gains balancing, two different calculations and different taxes, capitals gains tax/income tax