Short Term or Long Term when selling from a Pool

Here’s a question that I have around Defi and staking. Let’s say I had some AVAX which I placed in a DeFi pool on YieldYak to receive rewards. In return for my deposit I get an amount of YRT tokens. These YRT tokens are YieldYak’s receipt token which both represents my stake in the pool and is what I use to get the original AVAX back out. These tokens can’t be traded on any market so have no monetary value, however, if I lost them then I would essentially lose the underlying AVAX which these tokens are receipt for.

OK some questions,

1. Is this deposit seen as a trade? Unlike UNI the YRT tokens have no dollar value and can not be sold/traded on an exchange. They are essentially my ‘key’ to getting the tokens back.

2. When I unstake the AVAX (ie: swap the YRT back for AVAX) is the AVAX I receive considered newly acquired and therefore will it reset the ‘purchase date’ for capital gains stax (short vs long).

If the IRS considers the (1) a trade that would make (2) a short term capital gain and I would then have to hold the returned AVAX for a year before selling if I wanted to not be hit with a short term capital gains tax.

I could see this really hurting DeFi as it essentially makes it only good for short term traders and pointless for long term savers.

Thoughts?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.