Realised profit in ETH during Staking

I have converted my ETH to stETH in Lido for staking. However, Koinly counts this as a realised profit. Based on my understanding, the conversion should not be regarded as disposal as I don’t have control over my Crypto after the conversion and my intention is staking not disposal.

Would Koinly review and consider to change the calculation ?

3 Likes

Need help on this one too. All available evidence, in addition to Koinly’s article on Staking state that the coins are still mine and that I need to manually change the transaction to “Sent to Pool” so that I don’t have a tax event. Following this advice, I staked ETH to RocketPool and Koinly is recognizing the event as a “Trade” and considering the transaction as gains. This needs to be fixed immediately for tax season.

EDIT: Solved (for now) by making it a Swap. Not clear on how I claim the gains whenever I do swap back from rETH to ETH

Yup Im having the same issue too… I did try as @Victor2525 has suggested and set the tag to swap but irrespective it’s still triggered as a profitable action. I also am using Lido for staking.

I suppose I could remove the transaction from Koinly for tax purposes and simply re-import after the fact, but Ideally eth/eth2 staking should be should be recordable as such.

Would this not be something that should be marked as Send to pool?

• Sent to pool: Tag any assets in liquidity/staking pools as sent to pool so Koinly knows you still own the asset.

I would say that LIDO is this.

Ok, you cannot actually mark this as send to pool. I changed to a swap instead.

Send Eth , get stETH - is a CG taxable event, its a totally new token This is the HMRC position.

Trading back in the future for an increased amount of Eth would be capital gains (assuming eth price is constant)

Swaps are covered here https://help.koinly.io/en/articles/4928719-rebases-swaps-ampl-dot-ocean-etc

I need an answer on this too. You can export Lido interest reward transactions but I’m not sure if you need to do this if you say “Sent to pool”. We can really use some clarity here @Alexander_Koinly.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.