How long do I have to report capital gains tax on crypto in Germany?

Am I correct in assuming that declaring taxable gains from crytpo is classed as a voluntary declaration in Germany? If so, is it the case that you have up to 4 years to declare this (after the end of the tax year those gains were accumulated within). Is that correct?

Hey @CryptoGary !

This link here suggests so: § 50d EStG, Besonderheiten im Fall von Doppelbesteuerungsabkommen und der §§ 43b und 50g

However, this one § 50d EStG - Einzelnorm mentions that specific paragraph having been “dropped” so It is unclear to me if that specific provision is still valid.

Here, this is really a case where we would suggest to ask a local tax professional(not a Platypus) to make sure. Here is one for example actus ag | Crypto Accountant in Germany | Koinly but I am sure you will also find others.

Hope that makes sense. Wish I was able to give you a definite answer here. Hopefully one day we will be able to have official tax advisors in the thread but not just yet.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.