Filed 2022 taxes for incorrect year

Hi all,

So I don’t know how I overlooked this, but I seemed to have filed my 2021 transactions for tax year 2021 and not this tax year 2022… (Never traded crypto before 2021, so naturally I wouldn’t have owed anything in crypto tax for tax year 2021). I never received anything from the IRS in regards to this, so I never looked back until this year.

I feel like an absolute moron for screwing this up, so my question is, do I have to amend my last year’s tax return and then refile for this year?

Thanks.

Hey @Carrotcake378

This sounds like an easy mistake to make, don’t worry.

Your best bet is to get in touch with an IRS agent and explain this to them, and seek their recommendation.

Unless of course, there is a US tax expert in the forums who can advise you - but unfortunately, nobody on Staff would have an answer to this.

Best wishes,

@Carrotcake378 It is my understanding that the moment a transaction is made, whether it be a profit or a loss, is reportable on that date. You file your 2021 transactions for 2021.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.