Cost Basis. And transaction history (fiat → crypto → crypto → fiat)

In the settings, if you’ve never ‘cashed out’ back to fiat and have ever only done crypto-to-crypto trades with your original fiat purchases, does this change the calculation somehow? The summary on the tax report page says “Koinly needs your full transaction history (fiat → crypto → crypto → fiat) in order to calculate your tax reports correctly.” In my case, I never did the crypto → fiat part.

I was under the impression the capital gains and taxes were tallied when selling back to fiat. I’m unclear how this and cost basis works – my cost basis is way higher than my purchases in crypto. If the market craters again like 2018/2019 could end up owing more in taxes than I’ve actually gained? Is that even possible? :roll_eyes:

Appreciate any input! Cheers!

1 Like

There’s probably some countries that don’t do this, but I think in most countries the trade of one crypto to another crypto is a taxable event. This will impact your gain/loss of the first crypto and your cost basis of the second.

Using crypto to buy goods/services may also be taxable events affecting your gain/loss.

So you can end up owing tax even if you haven’t converted back to Fiat.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.