Can you add the possibility to export ALL Koinly's transactions as a CSV?

Koinly is ahead all competitor. I love this platform and the way the UI works is fantastic and save me lot of time to work on manual discrepancies. However once I made a modification i need to be able to save it and a csv in case something happend I can re import it. This feature is a must. Pretty much is the only thing i think this platform is needed to have it and my #1 tool for crypto taxces.

4 Likes

Note to all - as others have mentioned on the thread:

This feature already exists. It’s just not free.

This is a clear strategy from Koinly to monetize their services. If they were to release this for free, they would lose a lot of product stickiness. Switching costs would be heavily reduced for free tier users.

I wouldn’t expect this to come out anytime soon.

HOWEVER:

Koinly, I would ask if you could consider evaluating PAID exports, or some kind of subscription/low price platform fee for PREMIUM accounting features - that can upsell into tax filing, as a potential pricing model.

ex. $5/mo to access PREMIUM features (full cost analysis, realized P&L, portfolio management, DeFi integrations, etc.). With a yearly subscription, includes one base tier filing for free. Upsell if users exceed their usage limits to the higher price points (Desired ACV - subscription fees paid for that year). This could also provide some more consistent monthly cash flow, as I assume you must get most of your purchases at/near tax time.

As a free tier user, I think you have a great product - but I am not necessarily going to use you for my own tax filing. I may still work with a private accountant, and would love the ability to use your service to organize and track my transactions - and have the ability to export my data entered CLEANLY into whatever medium I choose to file.

I fully support the monetization of your services. But the pricing model based AROUND taxation leaves me in a tough position. I understand this is the core value proposition, but if you decide that there is value in pivoting to a ‘quickbooks for crypto’ accounting platform, for wider audiences than simply just filing taxes - please hit me up.

Happy to discuss the viability here with you. I am a Product Manager for accounting software as well, so I have a bit of perspective on your position. I see a lot of opportunity here for improvement, and expanding your market presence.

Just some thoughts from an interested user.

8 Likes

Not 100% true; as noted by Koinly themselves, you can only export one tax year at a time, and they said they “will look into adding a combined report”. Granted, concatenating CSV files once you have them all downloaded is not hard, but it is extra work. Anyway, based on their response, and the fact that their paid tax reports provide way more value than just a CSV export, I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect they might provide full CSV exports for free.

Having said that, if they decide they don’t want to offer it for free (which IMHO would be a mistake; it’s our data, and deliberately locking customers into a platform is an unpleasant tactic which would leave a sour taste) then they should indeed offer it as a paid service rather than not offering it at all.

I violently agree with the rest of what you wrote, and I think Koinly would be smart to take up your offer of help :wink:

3 Likes

I agree and support this feature request. Having this feature in the free plan would be amazing. However, I can appreciate that this may affect Koinly’s business model. Therefore, I would be willing to pay for this feature if it was integrated into the paid tax plans or offered as a separate purchase entirely (provided that the cost is reasonable and I don’t have to pay every single time I want to export)

1 Like

I’m a small timer in the crypto space. I have perhaps 50 to 200 transactions per year, going back several years, and I expect that I will perhaps a few thousand dollars crypto income to declare, for the first time, this 2021 tax year… The current tax year of 2021 will be the first time that I expect to require a service such as Kointly to prepare the crypto portion of my income tax return.

So it seems I would have to pay $50 or $100 per year, for the tax reports I did not need or use going back several years, in order to capture the cost basis of whatever crypto income I declare in April of 2022, for the 2021 tax year.

That, or my tax records would rely on transaction records that I don’t control, that might become unavailable to me at any time, and that I in any case could never conveniently move to some other service.

I just started using Kointly today … I already regret paying for the one year that I just paid for.

Kointly relies on the other major exchanges and wallets providing access to their data via API’s or CSV files. But it is denying that to its users, except for extraordinary fee. I will not pay perhaps 10% or 20% of my crypto gains just for this one detail, programmed and available, but locked up behind a toll booth that puts it out of my price range.

1 Like

Weird, $100 for a compressive tax report is small fry.
An accountant will cost you hundreds and you a lot more time.

2 Likes

please add as soon as possible. This a must.

2 Likes

I am on a paid plan and have often thought this is much needed feature.

We really need an “export data” and “import data” feature to safeguard edit work.

As others have mentioned above, many hours can go into making sure the data in koinly is correct and its always a worry that something could go wrong and there’s no way to roll back the data if something was to go wrong.

The ability to back up the data and reimport it if something goes wrong is a no brainer and is seen in most business software systems.

5 Likes

I really agree that it’s really needed. And exporting all the transactions (without generating any tax report) should be available in any paid plan. If this option never appears, I’ll possibly start seeking other alternatives (I am currently on a paid plan)

Does @koinly read all the tickets? It looks like many them are left unanswered

3 Likes

Please, what are these competitors in order to compare?

2 Likes

I’d appreciate such a feature - it’s a real mission to obtain a full history of data, especially with some of the exchanges no longer existing. It would be great peace mind to be able to export it and have a backup. I’ve paid for one tax year, but am reluctant to have to go back and pay for 4 more tax years just to get the rest of it.

2 Likes

yeah we need this. There are already portals offering this.

3 Likes

I was just wondering if Koinly is going to implement this free feature ? I have a serious need to be able to download the transaction files at any point during the year not just at tax time, say if I wanted to download all transactions from 2nd of Dec to March the 23rd for example , your competitors do this already. or at the very least downloadable CSV file from the last date inputted.
Due to tax methods in my country I now have a serious need to able to do this. Can you at Koinly please make this feature available ?

2 Likes

The ability to fully export all transaction data is a deal maker/breaker for me. This is the first tax year where I’ve made enough transactions to warrant a software to help with calculating gains and I’ve signed up with over 12 different platforms to test them all out.

Koinly will be the one I go with if the ability to export ALL transaction data is available. Based on the above, sounds like I will only be able to export data for the year I paid for, which is not good enough. I don’t care if I need to buy a plan. However, if I can’t back up the thousands of data points I put days into cleaning up, then that’s a deal-breaker for me.

Is there a commitment this feature will be made available within the next few months? Otherwise, I will need to make a call and go with your competitors, which as mentioned above, export of all transaction data for backup is a very common feature, even at the free tiers.

4 Likes

Hi Karl,

Once you have a plan with Koinly you’ll be able to download all the data for the year you have purchased. This will be available to you in CSV format.

Kind regards,

Anakin

1 Like

Is there any update yet. I have already purchased tax reports for 2020 and 2021 year but there is no easy way of knowing if my future trade comes under short - term vs long term for a given coin.
This export feature would really help us perform " What - If " analysis.

1 Like

So I made 10 purchase transactions in 2018 and only sold them in 2020. If I pay for a 2020 report, would I get that 2018 transaction record in my export, or do I have to pay $50USD to buy the 2018 report first?