Binance nightmare... How are you using Koinly to tackle Binance tx?

Because the Binance API is crap and if they gave a shit about there customers they wouldn’t limit you to downloading 3 months transaction history at a time or 5 downloads a month (or what ever it is now).

If they cared about there customers you would be allowed to download you whole history in one go!

This is a Binance issue not Koinly.

2 Likes

if i download anything over 3 months old the generated files are empty as binance limits you to 4 a month which ive used im now up the creek for a month before i can try again

1 Like

Okay here’s my advances so far (Warning Experimental!) :-
Create ‘Binance1’ and ‘Binance2’ wallets.
1=Basic transactions i.e. buy,sell,deposit,withdrawal and fee.
2=All other exotica such as liquid rewards, referrals, savings, dust, commissions etc.
Populate wallet 1 then wallet 2. You should create separate derivative csv files for each set of transaction types to export into the Koinly wallets.
This has reduced, but not eliminated my missing costs. Mostly it is ‘Small assets exchange BNB’ dust issues remaining, but some totals are wrong now, so…

Anyway it seems helpful to me to split the data into managable/incremental stages for error analysis and any removal/backtracking needed to fix stuff, even if it comes out wrong. Let’s Go Crypto!! Yay… ;-\

1 Like

Yeah, this is where my thought process was taking me - I’ve been trading in Spot and Futures and struggling to pull in the transfers between them.

The API is rubbish, the Binance exports are terrible and the Koinly csv imports are limited.

Sooo frustrating

3 Likes

i’m also experiencing the nightmare clusterF of trying to get koinly software and binance data to talk to each other. it looks like the API has pushed all the major spot trades to koinly but my futures trade data is a total mess. i’ve exported the futures trades transaction history from binance to a CSV but koinly can’t import it, even if i copy it into the koinly template and adjust dates etc.

here’s a sample of the columns in the exported CSV shows:

Date(UTC) Type Amount Asset symbol
15-01-2021 09:01:59 TRANSFER 50 USDT
15-01-2021 13:47:58 COMMISSION -0.0167672 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 13:47:58 COMMISSION_REBATE 0.00167672 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 13:48:07 COMMISSION -0.0167168 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 13:48:07 COMMISSION_REBATE 0.00167168 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 13:48:07 REALIZED_PNL 0.126 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 13:52:01 COMMISSION -0.16544 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 13:52:01 COMMISSION_REBATE 0.016544 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 14:00:12 COMMISSION -0.08359999 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 14:00:12 COMMISSION_REBATE 0.00836 USDT LINKUSDT
15-01-2021 14:00:12 REALIZED_PNL 4.4 USDT LINKUSDT

i have 5500 rows of data so if i can’t get it into koinly, i’m thinking give it to an accountant to analyse and complete the tax return that way.

any ideas?

I’m starting to make progress with two Binance wallets, and importing data via the Koinly custom csv:

1. Binance Spot
  2. Binance Futures USD-M

It’s still soooo painful, for example

• To get the data into the Koinly csv, I found it easier to sort the export file by Side, or something that groups common transactions together, then copy them all in at the same time. When you’re done, you can re-sort the Koinly csv by date again
  • Until I understand it further, I have separate csv’s for Deposits/Withdrawals (Spot only), Transfers, and Trades
  • It doesn’t appear to like short trades. Another thread suggested changing the dates of the sell and buy, but that will reverse the PnL of the trade. I need to think more on how best to capture shorts
  • Binance “Funding Fee” is “Margin Fee” in the Label field
  • One of the Binance exports doesn’t recognise that I’m using BNB to cover Fees, so I had to manually change the Fee Currency by comparing it against a different Binance export (WTF?!)
  • You can add Small Assets Exchange via custom csv. I had to enter the values manually from Binance > Spot Transaction history > BNB Convert

I hope this helps…

Ultimately, this is taking way longer than it should!

1 Like

Hello!

Alex from Koinly here :slight_smile:

We have recently made an update to the Binance API, it will now include the “Convert” features and futures as well!

If anyone is having issues with missing transactions still then I would recommend recreating the wallet with API sync, it should be working much better now!

Best regards,
Alex

That’s great news, thanks. In trying to reconcile my transactions I realised Binance reports margin and repayment as “loan” and “repayment”. For loan repayment, the tag is “send”. It doesn’t seem to be tracking correctly that it’s meant to close out a position. “Send” seems to indicate it will be looking for which other destination/wallet I sent it to vs. being able to specify I no longer own those coins. Is there a selection I should be using in the dropdown to apply the correct tag?

1 Like

Is there any way to recognise Futures Trades that used Leverage? I’ve combed through the Binance Futures Trade and Transaction histories and Leverage doesn’t appear to be captured. It could change for each trade, based on risk and Stop Loss, so I have not idea how to work this out!

1 Like

@1811ajc
The “Send” is just a different way we use to say “Withdrawal”, so it will be treated as a disposal where you are just sending the coins away. It should be fine to keep them as is :slight_smile:

@m4tt I’m afraid if Binance isn’t capturing and exporting the data then there’s likely no way to get this. I would suggest contacting Binance support and ask if there’s a way to get this data added to the history.

Best regards,
Alex

Thanks @Alexander_Koinly. I just spoke with Binance Support, and they confirmed that because Futures Trade and Transaction history does NOT record initial margin and Leverage, the Trade size is the fully leveraged value! And you can’t calculate leverage with only the price, quantity and amount!

This is really going to mess up my tax return as I have around 300 Futures trades. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I’m tempted to just remove all Futures transactions and take the hit on the transfer amount…

UPDATE I think I might have worked it out - instead of uploading my Futures trades, which are the Leveraged amount, I’ll upload the Realised P&L, Margin Fees and transfers in/out to my Futures Wallet. It looks like this is how FTX tracks their Futures trades that used Leverage

If we already have a Binance wallet setup using the API do we need to delete and re-add it or anything else for the new features to work and missing transactions hopefully imported or will it just start working?

1 Like

Could there be a fix in the API here ; I found this source that might be helpful if you did not : Binance API Documentation ?

Solution is very simple, DONT TRY to use this website. Or any others, they all very bad to handle transaction. The best is to make your own excel file and to write all what you do. Yes its a little bit long, but… with all the time we loose here, i promise you will save time. And you will not depend of a website. Me i made my own excel and its just the best. I can change it exactly to fit my needs. (i started it last year after all thoses bug, and what i see, after 1 year, they have the exacts same problems. they fix nothing). Useless website, like any others that do the same work. I tested i think 5 or 6 differents.

1 Like

Solution as mentioned above is to download the full transaction CSV (in 100-day chunks), isolated margin trade history CSV (1-year download available), and cross margin trade history (1-year download available). Was having problems combing Binance and Kucoin and thought both APIs were wrong. After trying 9 different combinations of API / CSV inputs to Koinly I managed to reduce the capital gains from 112k to 4k!
For this year, I have reconnected the Binance API and set the history to Jan 1st. Will keep an eye on it this year and see if Binance makes any improvements or if I need to delete the API and go with CSVs again.
Good luck with this.

1 Like

Hi, I don’t use margin or anything complicated at Binance using it since 2018, the api was working not so bad, I just had some missing BNB transaction. So I tried the new API and then came the nightmare… Now not only BNB but a lot more coin are reporting wrong balance. I tried to importt the csv files on top of the API think koinly will skipped already iomported tx bi the api. I was wrong, now thousands of tx are in double… I will try from the csv alone…
I hope there was a way to export an account once we have a workable solution, so we could go back to it. I had an almost perfect solution earlier today now it seems like I have weeks of work to put into this and the tax deadline is in a few days… So yes it’s a real nightmare there is no other words.

Finally importing the csv outputed from “Generate all statements” on Binance is giving the right balances for everything. I could export in 1 year increment. binance give only 6 tries a month.

Thank you @underwhelmed for shining that light, and helping others here. You’re spot on with the solution.

Until we have a smoother API from Binance, I’ll echo the echo to download the full transaction CSV (in 100-day chunks), isolated margin trade history CSV (1-year download available), and cross margin trade history (1-year download available). This will save some time. :raised_hands:

If anyone has continuing/maddening issues within their wallets, please reach us at this contact, so we can further investigate discrepancies in your account.

And…have an awesome day!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.